Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:42:16 +0100
From:      "Ulrich 'Q' Spoerlein" <q@galgenberg.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I/O requests on NFS mounted directory fail

Hi there,

i have two computers running 4.7-STABLE, one acts as a router and exports
/use/home, /usr/src, /usr/ports and /usr/obj to client (my main
workstation). Now installing world on the client with the nfs-mounted
/usr/obj used to work till around 4.5-RELEASE IIRC. Now when doing a 'make
installworld' it will fail after some minutes with an I/O Error, or a "file
not found" error. The problem seems to be that an I/O request for that file
fails/times out. I never ever experienced this with with earlier releases
of FreeBSD, but i changed /etc/rc.conf a lot on both machines. Looks like i
somehow disabled the retry-on-fail option for NFS (if there is one...)
mount_nfs(8) says that i can disable the retry by making the mount
interruptible by using -i, which i'm NOT using, so the I/O request should
just be delayed till the server can re-send the packets, right?

Well here is my client/server config. What am I doing wrong?

Server:
/etc/rc.conf
portmap_enable="YES"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfs_server_flags="-u -t -n 4 -h 192.168.0.146"
mountd_flags="-r -n"

/etc/exports:
/usr/obj /usr/src /usr/ports -maproot=0 192.168.0.147
/usr/home -maproot=0 192.168.0.147

Client:
/etc/rc.conf
portmap_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"

/etc/fstab (tried all kinds of different flags):
server:/usr/home  /usr/home   nfs   rw,-b,-3 0  0
server:/usr/src      /usr/src nfs   rw,-b,-3 0  0
server:/usr/ports /usr/ports  nfs   rw,-b,-3 0  0
server:/usr/obj      /usr/obj nfs   rw,-b,-3 0  0