Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:37:30 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        Wei Guo <darcsis@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: How to set up unbound on FreeBSD 10

[really old thread which showed up in my referrer log]

Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.de> writes:
> it seems I have found the way to work my setup:
> My /etc/resolv.conf must not be changed by unbound. I.e. After starting
> local_unbound I remove the lines  nameserver 127.0.0.1 and options edns0
> and uncomment the nameserver entries created by ppp.
> nameserver 217.237.151.51
> nameserver 217.237.149.205

This tells your machine to stop using the local unbound and use your
ISP's nameserver instead.  You might as well disable the local_unbound
service entirely - it's just wasting CPU and RAM at this point.

> My /var/unbound/forward.conf I leave as it was generated:
> [...]
> and in my /var/unbound/unbound.conf I add some lines
> [...]

which has zero effect since you're no longer querying unbound.

The first time you start the local_unbound service, it runs a script
(local-unbound-setup) which configures unbound and sets up resolvconf(8)
to update the unbound configuration instead of resolv.conf(5).  This
ensures that unbound will continue to work when you're roaming, or when
your ISP changes the nameserver information in their DHCP responses.

The problem here is that ppp(8) does not use resolvconf(8), but updates
resolv.conf(5) directly.  This is a bug in ppp(8), and has nothing to do
with unbound.

(who the * uses PPP these days?)

DES
--=20