Date:      Sat, 10 May 2003 06:17:43 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@metrol.net>
To:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Down the MPD road

Well, after working through the various options it looked like MPD would be my
best bet here.  I've got it sort of working, but there's obviously some
tweaky I'm missing here.

Recap of the scenario:
  Full class C of static IPs segmented into 3 networks.  Outside, DMZ, Inside.
  Trying to get remote Windows users through securely to the Inside.
  Remote users have dynamic IPs.

What's working:
  MPD is running, and authenticating my test XP box via PPTP.  No certificates
or any IPSec involved here.
  I can hit boxes on the Inside really solid now.

The probs:
  Apparently PPTP actually puts the remote machine IN the target network.
Sorry, I'm still pretty green on this PPTP stuff.  Works a good bit different
than IPSec.  Anyhow, once the remote box is connected all the connections to
the rest of the Internet are now coming from behind the firewall.  That'd be
cool if it worked reliably.
  While connected, when I attempt to browse around the public Internet some
pages just don't load, where others do.  No rhyme or reason, and nothing
showing up in my logging of all denied packets via ipfw.  For example, I can
hit CNN without a problem, then when I try news.google it never loads a page.
I can hit the main Yahoo page, but any of their other sites won't go.  Really
odd.

I'm not sure if I've got an ipfw or mpd problem at this point.  I've tried a
dozen different ways to open up ipfw a LOT while still keeping it reasonably
closed.  This thing is in production and all.  If it'd help, I'll post the
relevant rule list here.

Here is what I'm running for an mpd.conf file.  Both mpd.links and mpd.secret
I'm guessing are okay due to their simplicity.

default:
        load pptp_client0

pptp_client0:

        new -i ng0 pptp0 pptp0

        set ipcp ranges {InsideIF}/32 {AssignedIP}/25

        set iface disable on-demand
        set iface enable proxy-arp
        set iface idle 3600

        set bundle disable multilink
        set bundle enable compression
        set bundle yes crypt-reqd

        set link mtu 1440
        set link no pap chap
        set link enable chap
        set link keep-alive 10 60
        set link yes acfcomp protocomp

        set ipcp dns {InsideDNS}

        set ipcp nbns {NTServer}

        set ipcp yes vjcomp

        set ccp yes mppc
        # set ccp yes mpp-e40
        set ccp yes mpp-e128
        set ccp yes mpp-stateless
        set ccp enable mpp-compress

I've played with tweaking a number of these settings, but with the same basic
glitchiness.  Was hoping one of you folks swearing by mpd might be able to
point out some goofball thing I did here.

BTW, the ng0 interface has permissions to every darn thing in ipfw.  That
includes tcp, udp, icmp, and even igmp.  I've run out of things to try here.

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."