Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 12:48:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, root@synthcom.com
Subject:   Re: DOS File system fixes

> > >What is currently broken in the DOS file system for FreeBSD? I see there's an
> >
> > Deadlocks are possible for file lookup (locking is too strong/wrong).
> > Locking in some other places is too weak.  rename() sometimes
> > (deterministically) updates the wrong directory entries.  I/O is
> > extremely inefficient, especially if the cluster size is small.
>
> There are several reports that enabling DOS f/s read/write can damage
> other file systems.

It seems that if you use FIPS or PRESIZE or "Partition Magic" to resize
your partition, the cluster size will not be reduced.

This results in crap being written out to the "phantom" locations as if
it were a bigger disk.

The problem is in the disk size determination and the cluster handling
code.

There is some indication that mark-for-update occurs on read-only devices,
and that for MSDOSFS, this update actually takes place.

In combination, this means that you can trash your BSD partition (the
area usually immediately follows the MSDOSFS area on the disk, which is
where you got space for it in the first place) when mounted read-only.

Part of the problem is that code common to all file systems is duplicated
in each file system instances instead of being done (correctly) once in
the upper level code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---