Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 02:17:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        maury@OAAI.COM, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT vs Linux vs FreeBSD

> >   Of course only a dreamer would suggest that some anti-forking is
> > due for the BSD world.  Somebody pinch me!
>
> OK, you're pinched.  You're also wrong.  Forking isn't bad, it improves
> the breed.  The three BSD releases aren't all that similar, and each
> brings a unique perspective that COULD NOT be addressed by one of the
> other BSD projects.

I think this is baloney.  Linux is addressing the SMP, multiplatform,
and agregate distribution as we speak.

Forking is an artifact, an emergent property, with roots in both
the organizational structure that is carried by all of the BSD
groups, and in the tools used by the BSD groups (CVS, in particular)
implying strictures that _require_ herd behaviour to prevent forks.

The number of Linux distributions is actually a bad thing, for
Linux continuity _and_ Linux marketing.  But the multiplicity of
Linux distributions is _not_ analogous to the forking that has
occurred in the BSD world.  The closest approach Linux has made
to forking are the "ac" kernels, the close calls with libc vs. glibc,
and the GGI project (other, older examples, exist).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.