Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:11:55 -0500
From:      Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 5000e with 3Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN PC Card 3CXFE574BT

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:01:32PM -0500, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
: Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com> probably said:
: > Dell Inspiron 5000e with 3Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN PC Card 3CXFE574BT
: > Just wondered if anyone is using this combination with FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE.
: > I am running CURRENT now, but experience too much problems.
:
: I believe that 3com card is cardbus (I could be wrong but I didn't
: think 3com made any 10/100 non-cardbus cards), if so it won't work
: with -STABLE.

Actually the 574 is pccard and not cardbus.  My guess is that the
original poster's rev of the card may not be in pccard.conf.

Jan, try adding the following entry to /etc/defaults/pccard.conf:

# 3Com Megahertz 574BT same as 3Com Fast Etherlink 3C574B
# this is a hack based on the 574BT entry
card "3Com" "Megahertz 574BT"
        config  auto "ep" ? 0x1
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
        remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

You may need to tweak the "card" line to match the strings that your
card puts out.

        --Jerry

Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
...It's much more important than that!