Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 18:39:12 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: Tag operation/partial ports thaw

--pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw

Dear Porters,

I will be laying down the ports tag for 5.0-R sometime on the first of
January, 2003 (probably around 10 AM UTC, but maybe later depending on
my availability).  Please have any remaining port fixes committed by
this time: it is possible in most cases to slide the tag afterwards,
but since I'm on vacation I'm not going to do too much of that except
for urgent fixes.

At that time the ports collection will be open for port upgrades and
other changes; however bear in mind that I cannot slide the 5.0 tag if
there is an intervening commit like a port upgrade, and then a second
commit such as a security fix that you want re-tagged.  Therefore
please DO NOT perform any of the following:

* tree-wide or other large-scale sweeps
* commits to bsd.*.mk
* upgrades of large port subsets like GNOME or KDE

If in doubt, ask me.

The tree will be completely thawed when 5.0-RELEASE is released.

Thankyou to everyone for their continued patience during this
unusually long ports freeze: it has been difficult, but the results
have been worth it (several hundred broken ports have been fixed - I
will have a final count in a few days).  My special thanks to everyone
who submitted port fixes: you have made a direct and valuable
contribution to the quality of 5.0-RELEASE!

Kris

--pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw

--pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw--