Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 14:07:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   rlogind terminal line vs. DOS Telemate

I just spent an hour or so totally mystified...

A user, running the popular shareware DOS communications program
Telemate, logged in via rlogin from my BBS. He accepted the terminal type
`pc3'... but whenever he used programs that need his terminal size, like
more or pico, it insisted that his screen height was 1 or 2 lines. If he
logs in using telnet, he doesn't have that problem. If I rlogin and log
in to his account, my terminal works fine (cons25 and also a minimal
25-line ansi terminal from the BBS). The man page for rlogind mentioned
something about getting the `window size' from the terminal... but it
doesn't say how it's doing it. I've also tried the ansi and dosansi
termcaps with no change. Anybody have a clue what's going on here? I'm
running 2.1-STABLE and at the moment am just in the process of adding the
tcp_wrapper port.

-Dave Babler