Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:45:02 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        <lists@mediumgreen.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB/umass in addition to "other" SCSI

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 lists@mediumgreen.com wrote:

> I think I heard Andrew Gordon say:
>
> >It should appear of its own accord when usbd sees it.  However, this
> >doesn't appear to work properly at present.
>
> I've attached the device before startup and have noticed some usbd
> messages when I remove and reinstall it.
>
> Jul  4 22:06:22 blueberry /kernel: ugen0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 3) discon=
nected
> Jul  4 22:06:22 blueberry /kernel: ugen0: detached
> Jul  4 22:06:26 blueberry /kernel: ugen0: SIIG DigiFilm-Combo Reader, rev
> 1.00/0.01, addr 3
>
> blueberry# usbdevs
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
>  addr 2: Microsoft IntelliMouse=AE Optical, Microsoft
>  addr 3: DigiFilm-Combo Reader, SIIG

This is a different problem.  The system hasn't even tried to associate
this unit with a disc device, because it hasn't been identified as a USB
Mass Storage device.

Unfortunately, you are probably out of luck: this is most likely a device
which uses a proprietary protocol rather than the standard mass-storage
class.

Sadly, the proportion of junk among USB peripherals seems to be even
higher than among PC hardware generally.