Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:29:29 +0100
From:      "Graham Woodruff" <woodruff_g@sls.co.uk>
To:        <root@vetex.dhis.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.2 wont install

> ...and it gets all the way to "extracting bin into / directory" and
>just stops with "1024 bytes read from bin dist chunk
>1 of 106 @ 1kb/sec"

Thanks for backing me up on this one !

This is EXACTLY what I am finding installing 3.2 using a variety of hardware
via ftp viz...

Set up hardware OK, connect to ftp server - works fine - then hangs at 1024K
transferred !

Funny enough, the smallest box I have - 486/25 8Mb 2*130Mb drives, installed
perfectly, but using the same network card in another (larger) box just
gives the same old hang...

Transferring one of the network cards that failed (?) to the 'working' box,
I find that 'most' IP is OK, ping, telnet etc. all OK BUT ftp either in or
out hangs at the 1024K barrier, I (think I...) have eliminated network
cards, HDD's, CPU's memory etc. on the grounds that subsequent installs of
Linux (either Slackware4.0 or RedHat) both pick up all the hardware AND use
the network card OK.

One answer was to try a different ftp server, in my case, I have downloaded
to my Win95 box to minimise connect time, so just run either G6 or Netftpd,
both/either of which are OK with different apps, both of which have been
used succesfully for the FreeBSD load onto my base system

I have tried different IRQ/membase etc to no effect, I am convinced now that
another process is causing this (routed ???) if so, how do I/we get round
this, I really would like to have a 'real' FreeBSD box running as a 'network
services' server.

Graham Woodruff
graham.woodruff@iii-europe.com    grahamr@globalnet.co.uk