Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 07:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Denis DeLaRoca <denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RealPlayer G2 for Linux (6.0-0.99051701)

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Randall Hopper wrote:

> According to Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, it's OSS_GETVERSION.  Likely
> it's trying to optimize the sound output based on sound driver version.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if this is related to the video dogging down more
> and more as the clip plays; possibly it's blocking on sound driver writes
> (ISPACE, OSPACE, TRIGGER, and friends).

I am also seeing quite a bit of core dumps from this G2 player. My
X-Server shared-memory configuration was low and I was getting some SHMGET
errors when launching the palyer but increasing shared-memory hasn't
stopped the core dumps.

As I understand it, the Player's bandwith settings dtermine whether a
session is played at low or hi bitrates. In my case, I have a 256Kbit/s
ADSL connection and so configured my G2 player. But in this mode, incoming
sessions that are played at 150-200Kbit/s only play for a few seconds
before core-dumping -- I played some 100Kbit/s sessions fine but they
appeared not to be reliable and eventually the playwer would core-dump. If
I reconfigure the Player for a 112 Kbit/s (ISDN) bandwith setting then
sessions are played at low-bitrates say 34-40Kbit/s and the player doesn't
core dump.

Do we have a baseline from someone using the player natively under Linux,
ie., is it exhibiting the same behaviour under Linux or is this
symptomatic of linux emulation under FBSD?

For a test session that exhibits the above behaviour see
www.broadcast.com/video/courttv.

-- Denis