Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 16:37:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        Marko Cuk <cuk@cuk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stability

 Hi Marko,

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Marko Cuk wrote:

> Hello !!
>
> Can anyone explain me, why is FreeBSD known as powerful sistem with
> industrial strenghth and rock stability, but I manage to crash it several
> times.
>
> The bridge code in 4.1x is unstable in conjuction with ipfw, I had several
> problems with Vinum and Raid5 and maschine crashed every day if I used
> something od previously mentioned things.

	I personally did notice some problems with bridging as well, and I
  fixed one panic situation in -CURRENT about a month ago. I still have a
  Problem-Report assigned to me and am very interested in tracking more of
  these down, but really need help from folks running -STABLE as well, and
  that can afford to provide some debugging information.
  	Hence, if you have a complaint about the stability of some component,
  please realize that there is very little that developers can do about it
  without proper evidence and data. Take a look at the handbook:

  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

  to find out exactly what's looked for. In short, you should at least
  provide a backtrace following the panic/page fault/whatever it is you're
  seeing.

> I came from Linux world, wich was unlikely for me, but Linux never crashed on
> my maschines. My average uptime was 100 days with bridge, with raid5 and so
> on....
>
> This is not a threat or something, but I am curious, why FBSD crashes in such
> manners. I also managed to run Vinum twice by mistake, but, again, maschine
> crashed.
>
> Thanks, Marko Cuk

  Regards,
  Bosko Milekic