Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:39:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      tim@print.gfmurray.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Win95 dialup

>On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Scott L. Whittenburg wrote:
>
>> We have configured several modems to act as dial-up modems on
>> FreeBSD2.1   We can dial in from Win95 using hyperterminal and get
>> a login prompt, and so on.  When we try to use the Dial-Up Networking
>> stuff from Win95 we have a problem we cant fix.  If we set Dial-Up
>> Networking on Win95 so that a window appears on the screen we get
>> a login prompt.  We enter the correct username and password and tell
>> the Dial-Up Networking dialog box to continue.  It works and starts
>> a PPP session and we are connected.
>
>So, this isn't really a problem except that you don't want to have
>to type the ppp username and password, right?  At this point you
>should be able to use ftp, ping, run netscape, telnet, etc.
>
>> If we then set up Dial-Up Networking
>> on Win95 so that it does not give us the dialog box, the system (Win95)
>> waits for a long time and finally says that it could not make a
>> connection.  What is the problem?  Thanks.
>
>I think the problem is that it needs a script containing the username
>and password.  There's something called a dial-up scripting tool that
>comes on the cdrom version of Win95 and may be downloadable from
>Microsoft's web page.
>
>			Annelise

I have set up several FBSD systems for W95, WFW, & Mac dial up.   It seems
to me that the easiest way is to use slip.   If you want more details on
scripts, how to configure W95 etc, just give me a shout.
Tim Baird

Dominus Fecit
"The Lord Made"

Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer etc. etc