Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2014 20:16:24 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: If the BSD become known as Linux, BSD distributions will be millions just like there are on Linux?

On Mar 12, 2014, at 15:11, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:

> OTOH, OSX isn't really BSD any more (to the extent it ever was).  It's =
best
> described - I think - as "derived from FreeBSD" because they've =
changed things
> like filesystem case sensitivity, they us HPFS instead of FFS/UFS/XFS, =
the
> filesystem layout is different, and so forth.  They've also added a =
bunch
> of Apple-specific APIs.

Tons of unix utilities pulled from FreeBSD/NetBSD, pf from OpenBSD.

com.apple.kpi.bsd  -- BSD APIs

I know the 4.4BSD network stack still lives on in there somewhere, and =
Adrian can probably speak to Apple taking an early version of the 802.11 =
network code from FreeBSD

I'd probably call it a bizarre frankenstein fork more than anything