Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:56:28 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Tolpin Vladimir <tolpin@chat.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shutdown

Tolpin Vladimir wrote:

> We have server witch "on" only when someone at work, but the last one
> who leave room must down it, but only I have root password and other
> have only users account and password to 'on' system . Please explane
> me how common user can down server without root password.

An ugly way would be to have them press ctrl+alt+del, and turn it off
after FreeBSD has shutdown, but before it starts up again. There have
been two other suggestions already, one of them must be useable...

You could also make /sbin/halt setuid root, which may work (`chmod 4555
/sbin/halt'). Don't let anyone use /sbin/shutdown, since they will
be able to get a root prompt that way. I don't think they can with
/sbin/halt. (Well, they could then reboot and boot up with -s to get
single-user mode. I think making console insecure in /etc/ttys make
solve this, since they will need to enter root's password.) I may be
talking shit as well, but it may be useful...

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key