Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:59:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Failing to mount /usr/obj over NFS

David Preece <davep@afterswish.com> types:
> I just don't get it.
>
> I'm trying to have just the one server with a copy of the 4.2 sources (I'm
> going through a big update all my boxes session), and I thought that while
> I was at it I may as well have one unified /usr/obj directory as well. The
> theory goes that with these two mounted over NFS, make buildworld will be
> faster because the objects are already built (buildworld arguably not
> necessary?), whilst not affecting installworld. That's the theory, anyway.

To answer the parenthetical question - no, it isn't. You can do the
buildworld (and even the buildkernel) on one system, and then
installkernel, installworld and mergemaster on the others, and it
works like a charm.

The trick is to set KERNCONF (or KERNEL, depending on how recent your
sources are - see /usr/src/UPDATING) to the appropriate config file
name in /etc/make.conf on all the boxes, and to all the config file
names on the box with sources on it, it's name first.

	<mike