Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 08:59:25 -0800
From:      Jobe Bittman <jobe@tns.net>
To:        p00r0ne@digitz.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Mobility hell

Mike-

In x4, there should be a log file created every time you try to start x
called /var/log/XFree86.log.0 I think. Send that to the list. Are you on
the first tty when you type startx? Press alt-f1 before starting X. As far
as versions of x4, I have always had good luck downloading freebsd4.x
binaries directly from ftp.xfree86.org. Mget all the files in the
/pub/XFree86/4.1.0/binaries/FreeBSD-4.x directory then run "sh
Xinstall.sh". These instructions are dated, but actually are still good.
http://www.linux-mag.com/2000-06/xfree_01.html

Jobe