Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 21:46:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        bill slaybaugh <slay3241@bright.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newbie kernel question-

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, bill slaybaugh wrote:

>I am a recent entry to the FreeBSD realm, having used several
>versions and distributions of Linux.
>Using 3.2, I just built my first custom kernel.  Nothing fancy;
>pretty much just turning off devices and options that weren't
>needed.  I was pretty surprised when the size of the new kernel
>came back as 5980783, when the generic kernel had been 2329748.
>It does load faster, what with skipping unnecessary probing.
>Why so much larger than the generic?
>This is probably a classic newbie misunderstanding - -
>and I'm in new territory.
>Thanks in advance.

You probably have a debug kernel with symbols built into it. I think you
can "strip -g kernel" but it has been a while.

FWIW, the debug kernel doesnt hurt performance.

man strip

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells
Jason Wells	| "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither