Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 2009 16:13:03 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Steven Friedrich <freebsd@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI temperature

> From: Steven Friedrich <freebsd@insightbb.com>
> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 16:33:53 -0500
>
> On Saturday 05 December 2009 10:49:55 pm Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I hate to suggest this to an old hardware guy, but have you blown out
> > your heat sink lately? On my laptop I do that about annually. The first
> > time I did it the temperature of the CPU when the system was idle
> > dropped by 12C. The temperature during a buildworld dropped from 91C to
> > 72C. Of course, you may have already done this.
>
> No offense taken if none intended 8o)
>
> I have thus far avoided cracking the case (it's a euphemism) because of the
> law of unintended consequences (Murphy's Law tends to bite you when you can
> least afford to deal with it),  but I haven't even yet inspected the fans very
> closely. I say closely because I did perform a rudimentary check and there was
> very little dust accumulated on the blades. I'll get a baseline temp and then
> clean them.
>
> I didn't chase that idea already because the system just recently started
> being temp sensitive and I thought it might be related to recent changes in
> the ACPI code from Intel.
>
> I appreciate your suggestion.
>
> > You can try booting up a Knoppix CD and see if it reports something
> > different, but FreeBSD and Linux share the same ACPI code which is
> > actually written and supported by Intel, though both do adjust it for
> > their systems. I'm betting that Linux will show the same results as
> > FreeBSD, whether it's right on not.
> >
> I like the suggestion. I'll try it.

On may laptops you only need to remove the keyboard to do this. I
suggest, if you can see the intake side of the heatsink, that you blow
into the exhaust. For my ThinkPad, the procedure takes under 10 minutes.

I'd also like to mention that FreeBSD does not enable a lot of power
management capabilities by default. Some have the potential of causing
the system to lock-up on some hardware. You can read up on this at:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption

This tuning can save power and reduce temperature.

While I can't swear that it's not the ACPI code, the temps on my system
are still fairly normal and there is no difference I am aware of on
how this works between vendors, though ACPI is flexible enough that it
is possible, I suppose.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)