Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:08:51 -0700
From:      Paul Lathrop <plathrop@squaretrade.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Snapshot performance

--------------enigF60FAB28AA9FFD362852A797

Hi all,

We're working on deploying a new mail server on FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE. One
of the major selling points was the ability to take filesystem snapshots
in order to make backups from a consistent filesystem on such a
high-traffic system. Unfortunately, when I take a snapshot, performance
slows to a crawl - to the point where the system stops responding to
network requests (ping, SMTP, etc.). Also, the snapshot takes 10-15
minutes to complete.

Is this a typical situation? Will I need to schedule downtime for
backups in spite of this nifty new feature? Am I doing something wrong?

Could use some advice.

Regards,
Paul Lathrop
Systems Administrator