Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:32:02 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        Alfonso Romero <ibac@prodigy.net.mx>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Two DNS servers with one IP address

+--- On Thursday, June 26, 2003 13:20,
| Alfonso Romero proclaimed:
|
| Thanks for your reply. The reason I wanted to have two DNS servers is
| because I want to register several domains and don=B4t want to depend on =
an
| external DNS service, but I found out the two DNS servers required by
| Internic must be physically separated also, so I=B4ll have to ask someone
| else to host my secondary DNS server, or stick with the available DNS
| options. I just wondered if it could be possible to have two DNS servers
| inside a LAN, behind a FreeBSD box with NAT.
|
| Regards,
|
| Alfonso Romero

Alfonso,

If you are thinking of running named on serverA and serverB (both in RFC191=
8=20
space), and have them both use one globally routable IP address, there is a=
=20
way.  I did this for a while before getting external secondary services. =20
Here is what I did:

1) go to http://www.bsdshell.net/hut_fvrrpd.html and read about the HUT=20
project.  Very interesting.

2) cd /usr/ports/net/freevrrpd && make install distclean

3) read the configuration stuff for vrrpd (if you are like me, read twice),=
=20
and configure the daemon on both servers.

Now, say serverA is 192.168.0.51, and serverB is 192.168.0.52, and your VRR=
P=20
address will be 192.168.0.50.  Just make sure that your VRRP configuration=
=20
is correct, but that isn't all.  When the VIP moves from the primary=20
machine to the backup machine, named won't give a crap.  It won't listen on=
=20
the new IP alias (in my case anyway, YMMV).  I created a script that=20
triggers on a VRRP state change that would kill named and then restart it=20
once the new IP alias was installed (my script also installed a (V)IPv6=20
alias upon master election... not sure if that is important to you).  Of=20
course, make sure that natd on your gateway is forwarding DNS stuff to=20
192.168.0.50.

I work with cisco IOS constantly, and HSRP is easy to take for granted.  It=
=20
is beyond cool to be able to do the same thing with the servers themselves.

Not saying that this is the best solution, but it worked for me.

=2D-=20
|       Michael W. Oliver, CCNP       | "The tree of liberty must be |
|         IPv6 & FreeBSD mark         | refreshed from time to time  |
|       michael@gargantuan.com        | with the blood of patriots   |
|   http://michael.gargantuan.com/    | and tyrants."                |
|  ASpath-tree, Looking Glass, etc.   | - President Thomas Jefferson |
|      gpg key - http://michael.gargantuan.com/gnupg/pubkey.asc      |