Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:14:55 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Ben Salem <benfsalem@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing the boot manager from a drive (2nd drive)

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:17:43AM -0800, Ben Salem wrote:
> I recently installed FreeBSD on a second hard drive, co-existing with
> Windows on the first.
>
> Everything is ok, but I accidentally installed two boot mgrs, one on
> the first, which is what I want, and one on the FBSD drive.  Now when
> I boot up, I have to select from two boot mgrs.
>
> trying to remove it from sysinstall by installing a "standard" boot
> mgr only gives me error messages.
>
> There has to be a way around this.  I've searched the docs but haven't
> found anything sepecifically pretaining to this issue.

You don't say what version you're running, but I'm guessing it's 5.x.
If that's the case, you can't overwrite the boot manager while using the
disk because that might modify the partition table and that's not
allowed.  You can disable this feature temporarily with:

sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16

Be warned that this allows you to do all sorts of damage to your system
so be careful.

-- Brooks

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L--