Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:35:11 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Andrew L. Neporada" <fbsdmail@sign.chg.ru>
To:        Fredrik Carlen <fredrik.carlen@telia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, d93-awe@nada.kth.se, primary@cowmob.nu
Subject:   Re: Computer running FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE freezes completely

I've meet with similar problem, so I need additional info from you.

1) How many HD's you have? If more then one, does master/slave jumpers
   are set correctly?
2) Could you please send dmesg output.
3) If this problem appears only when you run X?
4) Try to save Xserver output to file. For example: startx >xsever.log 2>&1 &

This will help to find your problem quickly.

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Fredrik Carlen wrote:

> Question from Fredrik Carlen <mailto:fredrik.carlen@telia.com>
>
>   Hello! I have a really annoying problem, and I can't seem to be able to
> find an answer to it on the Net. I recently "bought" and installed FreeBSD
> 3.2-RELEASE. I have been using it for a couple of weeks, and it's a very
> pleasant experience, except for the fact that *every* *single* *day* the system
> *freezes*. Hangs. I've been told not to reinstall, so, still painfully
> ignorant in the field of UNIX, I am humbly asking for more knowledgeable help.
>
>   This is what happens:
> 1.I log in on my usual, every-day account.
> 2.I start X up.
> 3.I start doing the normal stuff, nothing fancy (e.g. reading mail, writing
> notes).
> 4.The system freezes. Every input device stops working. The mouse cursor
> disappering is the first indication. The system is *not* reading from the hard
> drive, at least as far as I can see and hear. No matter how long I wait, the
> system won't respond. It's a complete denial-of-service! The only option
> left is to reboot the hard way. Which doesn't exactly make things better!!!
>
>   It happens *frequently* in the following circumstances:
> A. When I try to change something in "preferences" or "options", in
> any program (epecially Netcape). Sometimes it works, sometimes the system
> freezes.
> B.When I am trying to do something in two programs simultaneously,
> e.g. surfing and writing small notes. (By goood I hope it doesn't happen
> right now, please, please, my dear OS, just let me finish this freakin' mail!)
> C. Sometimes without any action from my part whatsoever.

[ snipe ]