Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:37:22 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lex Teba <elte@mathematik.hu-berlin.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: differences

On Thursday, 17 December 1998 at 12:17:59 +0100, Lex Teba wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I'm a Linux user and liked to know where the differences between FreeBSD
> NetBSD and OpenBSD are?

I'm a FreeBSD user, and I'd like to know where the differences between
FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD are.

It's very difficult to compare, because each project has a different
way of looking at things.  Here's what I wrote for a recent article:

   FreeBSD is currently the most widespread of the BSD variants.  More
   than the others, it aims for ease of installability and use for end
   users.  It originally targeted only Intel platforms, but recently a
   port for the Compaq/DEC alpha architecture has been released.
   Other projects include a port to UltraSparc, which has not yet made
   significant headway.

   NetBSD takes a different approach: from the beginning, it intended
   to support as many hardware platforms as possible.  At the time of
   writing, it supports just about any platform you can think of,
   including just about all Sun hardware since the Sun 3, though some
   support is limited.  For example, at the time of writing the
   UltraSparc port does not support PCI-based motherboards or multiple
   processors, though it is likely that support for this hardware will
   be added in the near future.

   OpenBSD diverged from NetBSD in 1996.  It places more emphasis on
   security aspects than the other projects.  Like NetBSD, it supports
   a large number of platforms, though not as many as NetBSD.  For
   example, there is currently no UltraSparc support.

This doesn't answer your question, of course.  But it might helps as a
starting point.

Greg