Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 95 09:53:20 -0400
From:      ejon@ll.mit.edu (Eric `two cats' Jones)
To:        questions@freebsd.org, tyork@vt.edu
Subject:   Re: Boot manager problems

	Unfortunately I deleted the message that started this thread,
but I might have something to add.  I believe Thayer York said:

> Well, it's actually one problem, and pretty straightforward at that.  I'm
> installing FreeBSD from a DOS medium.  I go through all the steps in the
> installation (along the way selecting that the boot manager be installed).
> The installation finishes, saying it was successful.  I do some post-install
> configuration and then reboot.  The boot manager menu comes up with only one
> choice - DOS.  I thought at this point I was supposed to be able to choose
> FreeBSD as well as DOS.  Any thoughts?
>
> BTW - my configuration is as follows:
> Gateway 2000 486-33V (VLB)
> 16 MB memory
> EIDE compatible BIOS
> 3-1/2" floppy
> 1 GB WD IDE hard drive (none of which is being used for FBSD)
> 340 MB WD IDE hard drive (60 MB partioned to FBSD and mounted as "/")
> 210 MB WD IDE hard drive (16 MB for FBSD swap partition, rest as a FBSD
[snip]
> IDE CD-ROM drive
> ATI Graphics Ultra Pro VLB w/1MB VRAM

Which is very similar to a system that I'm struggling with.
	I had a system with two IDE HD's on the primary controller
and an ATAPI CD-ROM on the secondary.  This worked fine, except that
wdc1 was not being found at probe-time so the ATAPI patches to 2.0.5
weren't doing me any good.  To make a long story short, I decided the
easiest way to get my CD-ROM going was to add a cheap HD to the 2nd
controller.
	Here's the creepy part: BootEasy now did not print the
line indicating that F5 selects the 2nd disk for booting.  But it did.
That's the good news.  The bad news is that when FreeBSD tries to load,
the machine locks up after the bar turns a few times.  I'd be
interested to hear if it does the same for you, Thayer.
	Sorry, no solutions.  Just more questions.

Eric