Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 07:29:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        ben@steelhead.pdx.net (Ben Kirkpatrick)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP via USWest DSL anyone?

In a previous message, Ben Kirkpatrick said:
>    I've been playing with getting my old freebsd box (2.1.7.1 I'm afraid)
> onto DSL.  I'm sure everything except DHCP is working fine because I have
> other machines up and running.  Sometimes I can get the 2.1 machine on by
> stealing an address for a few seconds.
>    Any got anything similar working?  I will summarize private responces.

Doesn't isc or wide dhcp work on 2.1.7.1? I would think that it would.
Obviously, your in RFC 1483 bridge mode (we're not doing PPP yet). Do you
have a 675 or an old Speedrunner?

I use Wide-dhcp on our systems here. It works fine with a dhcp server
(sun with Cisco Server Suite). I assume that it would work over the
dsl line.

Do you have uswest.net or another provider. I have my 675 in PPP mode so
I can't truely test freebsd with it. I'm also on travel next week, and
have some things to clean up today. So, unfortunately, I don't have much
time to try it out.

When we go to ppp with nat instead of bridge mode. You will be just choose
an address out of 10.0.0.1/24 (the ethernet on the 675 will be 10.0.0.1 and
dhcp will hand out starting at 10.0.0.2). That should happen sometime in
1999, I wish I knew when.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S		PAG: +1 (800) SKY-PAGE PIN: 537-7270