Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:33:08 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Frank Bonnet <bonnetf@bart.esiee.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which crypto package works with NIS ?

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 05:42:31PM +0100, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm wondering which crypto package I would choose
> at 4.2-RELEASE in order to have a working NIS
> client ?
>
> We use NIS for passwd and aliases distribution
> and I've read in FreeBSD documentation that NIS
> works only with DES package.
>
> What is the alternative solution ?

This is about interoperability. If you are using NIS on Sun machines
and want to also include FreeBSD platforms on the NIS domain, you need
to use DES since Sun's use DES.

As for alternative solutions, I don't think there is any reason you
actually cannot use non-DES passwords with NIS among a group of
FreeBSD machines. If the NIS code does not handle it now (and I don't
see why it wouldn't), it would be pretty easy to make the
changes. However, once you start mixing different OSes, you are going
to need to be careful that they all are using the same passowrd
scheme.