Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:10:58 -0400
From:      "Dave" <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
To:        <multimedia@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   burning a dual layered dvd video

Hello,
    I'm trying to burn a dvd that is more than 4.3 gb in size, it's a
multilayered one or dual-layered dvd i believe is the right term. Previously
to do this i ran dvdbackup from ports as in:

dvdbackup -i /dev/cd1 -o /path -M

    which worked. I then used growisofs as in:

growisofs -Z /dev/cd1 -dvd-video /path

which made a dvd video and it worked fine. I do have a separate issue with
audio mp3 burning to CD, whereas filenames are truncated any idea on that?
But with multilayered dvds, i run dvdbackup and growisofs and get a coaster
as a result. My drive is capable of burning dual-layered dvds and my player
is capable of playing them so neither is the issue, i'm assuming there's an
extra step i have to do but am uncertain as to what it is. I've asked on
several lists without success. Can you get me pointed in the right
direction?
    I've noted lxdvdrip and have installed it, but i'd rather know a working
procedure before i smoke another of these disks.
Thanks.
    Dave.