Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:27:11 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Signal 11 on 4-Stable buildworld; bad memory or what?

My buildworld is failing, often in the same places, and always with a signal
11, which I think is a segmentation violation (SIGSEGV).  When I first
attempted buildworld it died right away.  I rebooted the machine and it got
further, but died again with the same error.  Subsequent attempts died
early; reboot and it dies later.

I've recently moved this system to an Asus TXP4 motherboard with an AMD
K6-233 CPU and a single 128MB stick of PC100 SDRAM.  No overclocking or
other hardware hackery is being used.  The same machine had been running
(blush) Windows 2000 since March with little or no problems -- no problem
with lockups, blue screens, etc.

The FreeBSD install I'm using had previously been running on a generic Dell
Pentium 200 and lived through a half-dozen buildworlds without breaking.

Since I haven't seen a anyone else's world breaking this way, I'm assuming
that this is a hardware problem -- but what kind?  Memory?  I have a spare
Pentium 166 CPU and extra SDRAM I can swap, any clues as to where to start?

FWIW, I cvsup'd numerous times throughout 16-July, in case I caught things
during a commit.

--
swb@grasslake.net
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.