Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:35:13 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Space Usage

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 04:34:53PM -0700, Rick Hamell wrote:
> > > works. Say I have an 8 gig and a 13 gig drive. I mount /usr on the 8 gig,
> > > along with /, /var, /tmp, etc. I then mount /home on the 13 gig drive. How
> > > are files handled if I write into /home? Is based upon which drive has the
> > > most free room? Or does it try to fill up the 8 gig drive first? Assuming
> > > these are IDE drives, does it matter which controller and position they're
> > > in (slave/mater.) Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Uhh, hmmm? If you have a filesystem mounted at /home and you write
> > files to that filesystem... The files get written to that filesystem,
> > to the disk that it is on.
>
> 	Maybe I misunderstand how it works... /home goes under /usr
> usually, right?

You're losing me here. Let's clarify somethings.

/home and /usr home will always be two different entries in your root
directory. /home could be a symlink to /usr/home, it could be a
subdirectory of /, or it could be a mountpoint for another filesystem.
/home is never under /usr. /home is /home. That said, /home could be a
symlink pointing to /usr/home. Whether that is true is simply up to
you and how you want to set up your system.

You have all of the same options for /usr/home. /usr/home can be a
symlink, a subdir of /usr, or you could just as easily mount a
filesystem there.

That all said, one typically symlinks /home to /usr/home or
vice-versa. Which you chose is pretty much an asthetic choice.
No reason /home and /usr/home can't be completely different
directories, however. But why would you want to do that?

> Let's say /home is getting full, and I write something
> into it. Does the system take more from the 8 gig drive since /home should
> be under /usr, or will it give a device full error?

OK, now back to this part. Stuff will be written to whatever
filesystem you write it to. The situation in never ambigious and no
dynamic usage is done by the system. Trying to interpret what you said
earlier, you want to have /home be a mount point at have /usr/home be
a symlink pointing back to /home, right? In this case, anything
written above /home or /usr/home (since /usr/home == /home) gets
written to that filesystem mounted at /home. Always.