Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 20:49:49 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        zen@buddhist.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

At 01:40 PM 4/20/99 -0500, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:

>> This is true for you, but I don't think it is for everyone. In the
>> computer world especially, the overwhelming majority of users want
>> -- in fact, demand! -- operating systems which are VISIBLY attracting
>> large user bases and portfolios of third party applications.
>
>Then you obviously agree with Jordan: They should either go for Windows
>or for FreeBSD, depending on their needs.

They should go for ANYTHING that serves their needs. The object, however,
should be to make FreeBSD serve their needs in the majority of cases.

>Incidentally, Jordan has made a wise choice not to get involved in the war
>raging between Windows and Linux. As a Slovak proverb says: "Where two
>sides fight, the third one wins."

The analogy to physical war, in which the sides have exhaustible
material resources, does not hold. In a genetic or memetic competition,
that which does not compete is quickly overwhelmed.

>There is also an interesting story in Greek mythology. A hero whose name
>escapes me (since I read the story almost 40 years ago) was to overcome a
>whole group of fierce warriors. And all he had was a piece of rock.
>
>Instead of throwing the rock at them, which would do him no good, he threw
>it into their midst. They all wanted it. They started fighting and killing
>each other over it, until there was only one left. But after having fought
>all the others, the one left was so tired that the hero had no problem
>overcoming him.

Again, I don't see that the analogy fits.

--Brett