Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 22:08:10 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Arisandy <sandy@divre5.telkom.co.id>, Question <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Isp <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Modem speed?

Doug White writes:
> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Arisandy wrote:
>
> > How can I know the modem speed while connections happens ?
>
> You don't, at least easily -- you have to have a way of grabbing the
> CONNECT string and usermode ppp can't do that at current (afaik).

You could buy a SupraSonic with a 2-line LCD on the front. Then you'd
know the rate you *connect* at is rarely the same speed you use a few
minutes later. Am currently transmitting at 24.0k and receiving at
28.8k. Connection was negotiated at 31.?k for receive. Often I get
26.4k for transmit, but not tonight.