Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:29:40 -0600
From:      "Steven N. Fettig" <freebsd@stevenfettig.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB 2.0 -> 1.0 Support Backwards Compatible in 4.9? Re a SonyFileVault USB 2.0 Flash Drive

I have a Sony FileVault USB 2.0 Flash Drive that I use to store working
documents on (I don't use the security portion of the drive - if anyone
has had one themselves - I was simply able to get it for a steal) that I
cannot get working under 4.9 on an HP D530 machine (2.5 GHz P IV w/
on-motherboard USB 2.0 controllers.  When I have the machine running, I
cannot simply attach the USB Flash Drive and mount it like one would a
CD, etc.  The machine simply doesn't see the device.  I have looked
through dmesg and the messages logs to see if it is even seen, but it
isn't.  What is even weirder, is that if I boot the machine/restart it
with the drive attached, the system sees it:

Feb 18 16:32:19 hpBSD /kernel: umass0: Sony USB Mass Storage Device, rev
2.00/0.01, addr 3
Feb 18 16:32:19 hpBSD /kernel: pci0: <USB controller> at 29.7 irq 10

BUT, my USB keyboard and mouse no longer respond.  I do have all of the
appropriate kernel mod's included (da, scbus, etc.), so I'm not sure
what is happening.  According to a statement in

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=445988+448507+/usr/local/www/db/text/2004/freebsd-questions/20040118.freebsd-questions

USB 2.0 is supported in 5.x and NOT 4.9.  If this is the case, why won't
the device and the controller simply revert to USB 1.0 or is there
something I need to set to get it to work properly (or is the 82801EB
controller not able to "play fair" with an os that doesn't support the
2.0 capabilities).  In fact, I could care less at this point whether it
runs at 2.0 speeds because it's "flash" memory that is only capable of
4MB/s transfer anyway.

I would simply like to understand how one can play with the USB setup in
4.9 and see if there is anything I can tweak.  (I will eventually
upgrade to 5.2 - which, from what I have read, should solve my problems
- but before I make the leap, I want to learn more...  Any
recommendations or ideas?

Steve Fettig

P.S. Pardon my ignorance on this type of hardware question.  I am trying
to understand whether "backwards-compatible" is really decided by the
software or hardware...