Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 00:32:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Nicolas Blais <eletech@netrover.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have 4 questions

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Nicolas Blais wrote:

> These may be stupid questions, be aware! (I'm new to UNIX)
>
> 1) I downloaded GNULS and I like it a lot.  How do I change ls to GNULS
> so that I don't have to type GNULS?

First, find out where GNULS is but typing: which GNULS or whereis GNULS.
second, you can either:
	make an alias by typing alias ls {pathToGNULS}/GNULS
	make a link to GNULS by typing ln {pathToGNULS}/GNULS ls
see man ln, and man alias for details. (type man man if you really don't
get it... ;)
BTW, what is GNULS, and what is so nice about it?

> 2) What is the best port for reading and sending text email, I tried
> Pine but I think it's not good.

I'm using Pine since I know UNIX, and I am pretty satisfied... What is the
problem with it? There are many other mail readers (Elm, netscape , ...)
see /usr/ports/mail/README.html if you installed the ports, or
www.freebsd.org/ports/

> 3) How do I read content from the floppy drive? (I'm new to UNIX) >

You _mount_ the floppy drive in a "directory". If it's a dos floppy, try
mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
Explanations:
-t is the type of floppy (filesystem) you're mounting
/dev/fd0 is the device you're mounting, in occurence the floppy.
/mnt is the place where it should be mounted.

Then you can cd to /mnt and ls (or GNULS!) to see what's inside.

> 4) What do I have to add to .cshrc so that my prompt shows the UPDATED
> current directory and %?

Ahhhh! The funny part! you must change the "prompt" variable, which is set
ine .cshrc to 'hostname -s' by set prompt = 'hostname -s'.

You might like to comment this line out and put:
set prompt = "%n@%m [%t] %c3%# %L"

it gives me:
beaupran@outpost [12:26am] ~>
my logname  the hostname the time    the tree top dirs of the current dir

hope this helps!

reply if something's bad...

Spidey