Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:58:57 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        mueller23@insightbb.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any way to keep two versions of Xorg?

On 29/04/2013 02:43, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to keep two versions of Xorg-server, using no more
>> than one at a time?
>>
>> Reason is the newer but unstable version with KMS, permitting full
>> use of the newer Intel graphics chips.
>
> Provided you are OK with having the new KMS code in the kernel while
> running the older Xorg (so you don't need different kernels -- thus
> different base -- in addition to different Xorg userland), and if you
> don't mind having two entire ports/packages sets each including its
> own Xorg, this thread may help:

I would say set PREFIX to install the port in a non-default location.

With Xorg every gui app wants to use the X libs so I think setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH could get around that, but I would keep the old version
in /usr/local and install the new version elsewhere until you get it
running.

See chapter 9.4 PREFIX and DESTDIR of porters handbook for more info.