Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 04:39:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Brandon L. Newport" <bln@nc.prestige.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need Assistance ASAP -- PLEASE

Brandon L. Newport <bln@nc.prestige.net> types:
> Here is what he wants: (These are the things that have to up and running =
> by next weekend or I will be force to use Linux or NT)

Well, the general solution is to use the ports. They are the slickest
thing I've seen for installing new software, on any platform. If
you've got recent CDs, you can look for precompiled packages there as
well.

> file and print shares ( I dont know samba real good.....yet)

Well, samba is samba. You'll have to learn it whether you're going to
use FreeBSD or Linux. It's in /usr/ports/net/samba if you can't find
the package.

> dialout internet connectivity so that when other machines want to go to =
> internet it auto dials performs NAT and acts as the firewall (I know =
> this is not real secure but it will be a temporary fix)

Look at the ppp man page, the files in /usr/share/examples/ppp, and
the configuration in /etc/ppp. Oh yeah, set:

ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="auto"
ppp_nat="YES"
gateway_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf. There are other ppp things to set; you'll have to
decide what they should be. See /etc/defaults/rc.conf for details.

> somehow to fetch email from his ISP accounts for all employees and =
> download it locally to the server

Install the fetchmail port or package; that does that job
nicely. However, you might consider not bothering - just let them keep
on using the ISP for all their email. When you get a domain set up
(I'm assuming that you're going to), run a mail server and an imap
server, and don't bother with the ISPs mail.

> IMAP so he can check mail for any machine

There are a couple of imap servers in /usr/ports/mail.

> auto backups using the CD-RW

You didn't say whether your CDRW was SCSI or IDE. If it's SCSI, you'll
need the cdrecord port; for IDE you use burncd in the base
system. You'll also want the mkisofs port to build iso file system
images. Both ports are in /usr/ports/sysutils.

I've got some configurable scripts that assume you have a local disk
to use for backups that automatically dump the weekly backups to CD. I
could let you have copies of those.

> auto updates of OS

If you're talking about unattended updates, I wouldn't recommend that
for FreeBSD. Unlike Linux systems, the OS and binaries tightly
integrated, including the system configuration files. The changes to
those need to be merged in by hand. While you could probably get away
with not doing so for quite a while (because changes are designed
where possible to not bite people who don't do that), it would almost
certainly eventually cause you problems.

If you want a script that you can run to do it, it's simple:

	#!/bin/sh

	cd /usr/src
	make update && make world && make kernel && mergemaster

The last command runs the tool used for merging system config files.

> Eventually he would like faxes and voice mail to come and go from this =
> machine by using email (not quite sure what I am going to do about that =
> one)

All the fax facilities you could want are in the mgetty port
(/usr/ports comms/mgetty+sendfax). Voicemail I'm not sure about, but I
know people were working on that one.

> Apache Web Server
> PHP

/usr/ports/www/apache13-php4 (or -php3, if that's what you want).

> MySQL

/usr/ports/datbases has a number of mysql tools, including two
different releases of the server. Personally, I prefer postgresql
(/usr/ports/databases/postgresql7) because to get transaction support.

> phpNuke

I'm not familiar with that one, and it doesn't seem to be in the
ports. That could be the painfull one.

> - ------=_NextPart_000_014B_01C0735C.CDFA43D0

Oh yeah - you'll get better results from this list if you set your
mailer to send only plain text, not a text & HTML copy of the mail:

	<mike