Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 12:36:59 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emulation (Was: No port of Opera?)

At 02:36 AM 7/9/2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

>*sigh* I had intended to keep out of this, but I must say I like your
>analysis.  I'd like to add that we're not really talking about Linux
>vs. BSD here, we're talking about ABIs.

We're not just talking about ABIs, Greg, it's APIs too. And support.
And compatibility. We need native code that is supported on our
platform. We do not want to be stuck running code targeted at and
tailored to ANOTHER plaform, with libraries which are part of another
platform, under an emulation which could be broken in the future despite
our best efforts, without vendor support.

Nor should we support the pernicious political agenda which comes
bundled with that other platform. One of the most imporant resons to
support the BSDs is that they are not part of the FSF Empire. If BSD
is only valuable with Linux emulation, it effectively becomes part of
Stallman's agenda and empire.

--Brett