Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 11:37:53 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, mo@uu.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMBIOS/DMI etc

Stefan Esser stands accused of saying:
> On Jul 20, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> > The reason I ask is just to attempt to identify whether the BIOS32
> > thing ever took off; I can't find _diddly_ about it online, but it
> > does appear to be reasonably widely implemented.
>
> All systems with PCI BIOS are supposed to have BIOS32 support.
> I can check the PCI BIOS specs, but I'm quite sure that this is
> not obtional, from the PCI point of view ...

OK.  Next question; is access to the PCI BIOS useful from the POV of
FreeBSD's PCI code?  ie. would you prefer to talk to the BIOS rather
than deal with probing the hardware yourself?

I ask specifically in the light of the problems you've had in the past
wrt. chipsets which implement PCI autoconfig in, er, interesting ways.
Regardless of how broken their hardware might be, the BIOS must work
properly or the dreaded MS operating systems wouldn't work properly...