Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:47:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Null-Modem?

I've been considering the possibility of using some ol' Wyse terminals
we have laying around (from the retired VAX, may it rest in peace) to
connect one terminal head to serveral FreeBSD machines (I have a
switch from those ol' days too).

Now, I would think from a hardware end it should be as easy as
plugging the right adapter into the terminal, run the other end of the
wire into an adapter that nicely fits in the serial port of the
FreeBSD machine.

However, I go look at some FAQ and Handbook sources, and the term
'null-modem' comes up. Sometimes the context makes 'null-modem' sounds
like what it says, null, nothing, nada. Other times, it sounds like a
null-modem is either an adapter or special wire of some type.

So, just what is a null-modem if it is anything at all?

Oh, one thing tagged on here. There is no need for a 'regular'
keyboard on this machine (or sc0, but I'll leave the card in there),
but the BIOS likes to refuse to boot if no keyboard is hanging off of
of the usual port. I was not able to find a way to turn that off in
the BIOS setup (PhoenixBIOS). Anyone have a work-around for that? Or
is there some obscurely named option in the BIOS setup to do that?

(Just last night I was doing a RELEASE to STABLE build on a machine,
and I forgot I had removed the keyboard before telling it to reboot
the new kernel. Had to wait until I got to work the next day and
crawled under my desk to plug a kb in to see if all went well. :/ )