Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:12:40 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Subject:   Re: kernel core

In message <XFMail.010423150241.jhb@FreeBSD.org> John Baldwin writes:
: Yes, but until such time as we do that we should warn people in UPDATING at
: least.

20010411:
	fsck and the kernel were changed to handle some optimizations
	to directory layout.  This breaks backward compatbility.
	Update only if you understand that you must not use the old
	fsck with the new kernel ever.  Explicit instructions for
	doing so not provided to a) encourage people to fix the problem
	and b) encournage the less technically competent to not update
	past this point.  There are also problems using the dirpref
	updated disks on old kernels, so you have been warned.

Is going in shortly.  Typos/corrections to me by the end of the day.

Warner