Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:18:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        gdunn@mac.com
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pop passwords (Was: Recent Virus Attacks)

Gary Dunn <gdunng@mac.com> types:
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Both POP and IMAP protocols have features that let you avoid sending
> > passwords in the clear. Fetchmail implements a fair collection of them
> > from the client side. I'm not sure what cucipop supports from the
> > server side. I
> Is there a simple way to determine whether or not passwords are going out clear
> text? Can I look for something in a log file?

Well, if you didn't do something to enable passwords other than as
clear text, they are almost certainly going out as clear text. Whether
any clues wind up in your log file will depend on your software. The
best bet is to read through the documentation for your client on the
subject, then check to see which methods it supports are supported by
your ISP's POP or IMAP servers.

	<mike