Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:31:18 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adore worm

Hi Stefan,

> Looks like my FreeBSD 4.2 Box (FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE (GENERIC)) got hit by a
> worm - or infested by purpose:
>
> I found a new directory /usr/lib/.fx/
> which contains all kind of stuff.
> One README file says:
> >%cat README
> >                  AdoreBSD 0.34 - Based off Linux Adore by Stealth
> >                       Copyright (c) 2001 bind@gravitino.net
> >
> >Developed on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE
> >
> >Installation:
>....<snip>
> Anything known? Any ideas what to do? Looking forward to pointers....

This is a common one I think.  I was hit by it a few weeks ago too.  Not
sure if there's a safe way to undo the damage - in my case I had been
putting off the upgrade to 4.4 because of the usual laziness, and so I
just upgraded.

	A couple of pointers.  I had noticed (by using `last`) a few pokes
at my system in the weeks prior to the attack (from somewhere with a *.de
domain name).  The first thing the attack does is to delete everything in
/var/log so that you can not see what is going on.  The `ps` that is
installed works on 4.3 (obviously not on 4.2) and hides some processes
from you.  The /bin/xterm is activated at startup (the call is installed
in rc.conf), and a new telnetd is installed.  I'm not sure what these
things do, but they may poo over everything - the best advice is what
others have said, re-install.

	As for how to avoid it, I'm not sure.  telnetd had a problem, and
I seem to remember there was a security advisory on inetd before 4.4.
People advise ssh, but I notice that this particular attack also has a new
version of ssh to install, so I don't know about that.  I've had a brief
look at ssh, but it needs some careful configuration.  Firewalls are not
much help, because it starts with a legitimate request to telnetd or
inetd, and then crashes them.

	Sorry to be not of much help.

Cheers,

Rob