Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 12:37:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No /boot/loader (dangerously dedicated)

John Baldwin once stated:

=> Wait!  Smarter then  what?  So it  can  boot NT  and  Win98 for  some
=> weenies, or,  actually do something  useful (not sure  what, though)?
=> Why am I to waste space (even so little) "to be compatible with other
=> OSes", if there will never be any other OSes?
=
=Is 5 meg really worth the effort?

You did not say,  what the benefit is going to be.  So far, the "effort"
is needed to  rip it out. What  are you suggesting to do  with all those
existing installations? I already have about 20... And yes, it has to be
a HUGE effort to justify 5Mb _per machine_.

=> =This would defititely help out at work, as I would no longer get the
=> =question  from all  of our  users during  the install  "Should I  be
=> =dedicated or not?"
=>
=> "Yes, you should" :)
=
="No, you  shouldn't." Some SCSI  controllers are _known_ to  go haywire
=with  a dangerously  dedicated disk  since it  uses a  completely bogus
=geometry.

Then those  need to be explicitly  listed and, better yet, identified at
install time... This is, however, a one shot deal, but you'll be wasting
those 5Mb forever.

	-mi