Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:20:04 GMT
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/132722: [ath] Wifi ath0 associates fine with AP, but DHCP or IP does not work

The following reply was made to PR kern/132722; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To: "Sean C. Farley" <scf@freebsd.org>
Cc: Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>,
        Matthias Apitz <matthias.apitz@oclc.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org,
        Bruce Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>, bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/132722: [ath] Wifi ath0 associates fine with AP, but DHCP
 or IP does not work
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:56:24 -0700

 Sean C. Farley wrote:
 > On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Matthias Apitz wrote:
 >
 >> El día Tuesday, March 17, 2009 a las 10:39:32AM +0000, Bruce Simpson
 >> escribió:

 >>> Is this an ASUS Eee PC? If so, which model is it? It looks like a 901.
 >>
 >> It is an Asus EeePC 900, not the 901.
 >>
 >>> I tested OK with the 701. Sam said that there may be models of
 >>> ath(4) requiring further changes to be back-ported from -CURRENT,
 >>> this could well be one of them.
 >>
 >> as I said the Wifi works in all places, but not with this special AP
 >> (while a Nokia cellphone can associate and DHCP without problems);
 >>
 >> let me know if you need more info;
 >
 > Is the AP made by Aruba Networks?
 >
 > On RELENG_7, I needed a newer version (v0.5.11 instead of v0.5.10) of
 > wpa_supplicant for it to associate correctly.  With v0.5.10, I could
 > see DHCP requests from my laptop but no responses.  This is the patch
 > I am using currently:
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~scf/wpa_supplicant-0.5.11-RELENG_7.patch
 >
 > Note:  sam@ updated HEAD to v0.5.11 then to the v0.6.x series.

 His setup is static key wep; not wpa so I don't think wpa_supplicant is
 the issue.

 Matthias, your tcpdump of the dhclient packets isn't usable; please try:

 tcpdump -i ath0 -n -y IEEE802_11_RADIO

 I reviewed the driver to the code in HEAD and the only difference in the
 crypto area should not matter in this case.  It's possible wme is
 somehow enabled and causing problems but the ifconfig output doesn't
 indicate that.

 If you can find out the model of ap that might be helpful.
 Unfortunately the best thing to try is HEAD.

     Sam