Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:27:18 +0000
From:      Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail trojan...?

On October 9, 2002 03:03 pm, Claus Assmann wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002, Chris Faulhaber wrote:
> > Yes, the source in the tree has been verified against the
> > signed tarball; plus, it was the configure script that was
> > backdoored which buildworld does not use.
>
> It was not the configure script. I'm wondering who came up with
> this rumor; please stop spreading it.

Where is the best collection of forensic information about
this so the method can be understood and effects checked=20
for? The CERT advisory mentioned trojaned versions "contain
malicious code that is run during the process of building the
software." It was less than illuminating about the method
after that.

thanks,
--dr

--=20
dr@kyx.net   pgp: http://dragos.com/kyxpgp
Advance CanSecWest/03 registration available: http://cansecwest.com
"The question of whether computers can think is like the question
  of whether submarines can swim." --Edsger Wybe Dijkstra 1930-2002