Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:40:03 -0400
From:      "Robert Withrow" <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        Clive Lin <clive@tongi.org>
Cc:        "Robert Withrow" <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, tlambert2@mindspring.com
Subject:   Re: Segfaults and bus errors in 4.6.2?

clive@tongi.org said:
:- try
:-   options DISABLE_PSE
:-   options DISABLE_PG_G

I did so, and launched on several days worth of continuous rebuilding of code
and the above seems to have mitigated the problem.  I received not a *single*
process crash from Wednesday last week to today with the system doing massive
"portugrade -f" stuff.  It used to get several per hour.

Also, apparently, the DISABLE_PG_G option doesn't exist on 4.6.2, at least
according to find and grep, so I suspect only the DISABLE_PSE option is needed.

:- This reminds me a hot thread on -current several months ago,

I went back and read this thread and it sorta petered out before Terry
got to explain exactly what the problem is and how DISABLE_PSE mitigates
it.  Terry?

Thanks!