Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 08:09:32 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@mat.cc>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorting and Matching options for ls(1)

--On mercredi 6 mars 2002 13:57 +0000 Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> wrote:

> At the request of several FreeBSD users, I have developed the following
> two options for ls(1):

while we're on ls, I found out yesterday that on a recent linux redhat that
when doing just a ls (just file names), it the columns were not larger than
the length of the largest file name in it (+3) as in freebsd, all columns
are equal :

$ ls /bin/
arch          cpio           false       loadkeys       ps         su
ash           csh            fgrep       login          pwd        sync
ash.static    cut            gawk        ls             red        tar
awk           date           gawk-3.0.6  mail           rm         tcsh
basename      dd             gettext     mkdir          rmdir      touch
bash          df             grep        mknod          rpm        true
bash2         dmesg          gtar        mktemp         rvi        umount
bsh           dnsdomainname  gunzip      more           rview      uname
cat           doexec         gzip        mount          sed        usleep
chgrp         domainname     hostname    mv             setserial  vi
chmod         echo           igawk       netstat        sh         view
chown         ed             ipcalc      nice           sleep      vimtutor
consolechars  egrep          kill        nisdomainname  sort
ypdomainname
cp            ex             ln          ping           stty       zcat

that's a neat feature I believe, don't you ?

--
Mathieu Arnold