Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:55:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Chad O. Thompson" <cothomps@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Com 5610A Modem and FreeBSD

I posted this to the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc newsgroup a couple of days
ago.  Prehaps this would be a better forum for the question/problem.

box.  Included in the PC was a 3Com USR 5610A 'Performance Pro' faxmodem.
(a non-win PCI modem)  The modem is listed as being able to work under
'Linux 2.3' or better (and it does, I first compiled a Linux 2.4 test
kernel and was able to get the modem to dial and connect), so I assume the
modem is workable under FreeBSD.

I am a little stuck on how to associate a PCI slot with a serial port.  I
give some detail in the news article.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge when it comes to setting up one
of these PCI modems?  (From usenet it appears that ppl. have experienced
success with the 3Com 5610 modem under FreeBSD.  No details, tho...)

A slight warning:  I am a FreeBSD newbie, and am still somewhat unfamilar
with some of the internals, etc.  (Hence, my desire to play with it.. 8^)
)

Thanks much for any help anyone can provide.  Details below.  Let me know
if they are undecipherable...

Chad

Chad Thompson <cothomps@visi.com> wrote in message
<8nttjf$f3q$1@newsfeed.norlight.net>...
> Hello, all.  I've got a little question for the group, and wonder if
someone
> could give me a little help.
>
> I recently purchased a machine as a 'corporate castoff' (Compaq Deskpro,
> Pentium Pro, 80 MB RAM, 2 GB HD, no OS for $50) and am going about
> installing FreeBSD.
>
> The installation went pretty smoothly (easier than some Linux distros!)
but
> I am having a small hardware problem.
>
> The onboard modem is a PCI modem, a 3Com 5610A 'Performance Pro' faxmodem.
> The documentation that came with it claims that the modem is supported
under
> "Linux 2.3 or better" so I am assuming that it is workable under FreeBSD.
> (I am using the 4.0-RELEASE #0 of March 2000, the GENERIC kernel for now)
>
> From the previous installation ofWin NT (and a quick install of RH Linux
> do some hardware checking) here is what I know:
>
> 1)  The modem was available under the WinNT COM4 port.
> 2)  RH Linux sees the modem at port 0x1420, IRQ 11
>
> Now, after the FreeBSD install, the bootup detects all of the PCI devices
on
> the machine, including this one:
>
>    none1@pci0:18:0:  class=0x070002 card=0x00d712b9: chip=0x100812b9:
> rev=0x01: hdr=0x00
>
> This matches (pretty closely) the parameters that RH Linux gave under a
'cat
> \proc\pci' command.  So, I think I fairly safely assume that this is the
> onboard modem.
>
> Now here's where I get into trouble.  How do I go about using the modem?
> am guessing that somehow I need to associate the modem with a serial port
> (so I can use /dev/cuaa3, I suppose).  How do I do that?  (I looked around
> on USENET and found references to using 'siocontrol'.  This command
appears
> to be 'comcontrol' under the 4.0-RELEASE, but the 'man' page did not seem
> provide much insight.  I have not found any good documentation on using
PCI