Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:04:53 +1000
From:      "Andrew Johns" <ajohns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        <cjclark@home.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Null-Modem?

A null-modem cable is a cable with the correct wires crossed/joined -
typically if all you want is software flow control (not the best but it
works) just connect pins 2,3 and 7 in a DB25 serial port connector (aka
V35 connector) and swap pins 2 and 3 at one end.  Pin 2 is transmit, 3
receive, 7 ground; so you've got:

One end:                        Other end:

     TX  2 --------\/------------- 3 RX
     RX  3 --------/\------------- 2 TX
     Gr  7 ----------------------- 7 Ground

Config your machine for software flow control (XON/XOFF) and it'll send
^S (XOFF) when it's buffer is full and ^Q (XON) when it's ready to
receive again.

If you don't have access to cables that you can hack/cut/modify, you'll
need to buy one - any decent computer shop will have them.

As for the BIOS, look for a "Halt On" option in the BIOS and change it
to Halt On "No Errors" - "All Errors" is probably the default and
"Keyboard" will probably be another option (checks for the presence of a
keyboard).  Halt on "No Errors" will allow the machine to boot without a
keyboard attached.  I don't know off the top of my head whether the
Phoenix BIOS has this particular option or not.  Good luck...

HTH

Microsoft: Keeping brain-dead administrators in work for ever
           (fixing/maintaining/rebooting it).