Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:11:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tar

In using tar to do a backup of the root file system of one of our
3.1-RELEASE systems I notice that the GNU tar (1.11.3) shipped with
3.1 doesn't like to backup some of the special files:

  ? gtar: ./dev/da0s3: minor number too large; not dumped
  ? gtar: ./dev/da0s4: minor number too large; not dumped
  ? gtar: ./dev/da1s3: minor number too large; not dumped
  ? gtar: ./dev/da1s4: minor number too large; not dumped
  ? gtar: ./dev/da2s3: minor number too large; not dumped
  ? gtar: ./dev/da2s4: minor number too large; not dumped

But I found that the current release of GNU tar (1.12) from
ftp.gnu.org will backup those special files just fine. Are there any
reasons anybody thinks I shouldn't use the latest GNU tar?